The Jewish community of Wyoming Valley starts with the formation of B’nai B’rith congregation.
Timeline Post Type Description
Temple B’nai B’rith is built on South Washington Street in Wilkes-Barre as a Reform congregation by early German-Jewish residents.
Wilkes-Barre is listed as the 17th oldest Jewish community in the territories.
Many Jews become merchants to the coal industry. Among the first are members of the Long family. Their estate becomes the site of the present Jewish Community Center Day Camp.
Congregation Ohav Zedek Anshe Ungran (Lover of Righteousness, Men of Hungary) is formed by Austrian-Hungarian immigrants. The Congregation builds the Ungarishe Synagogue on Canal Street, which is now Pennsylvania Avenue, in 1902 and moves to their present site in 1932.
The Young Men’s Hebrew Association (YMHA) opens and becomes the hub of Jewish social and cultural activity.
Temple Israel is initiated as a Conservative congregation and dedicates their building in 1925.
Julia Lieberman creates Home Camp at the YMHA (summer day camp for children ages 9-15).
United Hebrew Institute (UHI) is formed and moves the Israel Ben Zion Academy to Kingston to accommodate the growing Jewish population there. A mikvah is built adjacent to UHI. Congregation B’nai B’rith relocates to their current home in Kingston, combining modern architecture with the original altar, pews, and candelabra.
JCC day camp moves to Holiday House estate.