The Jewish community forms the Flood Emergency Committee, providing individual financial and psychological help and restoration of local Jewish institutions after tropical storm Agnes.
Timeline Post Type Description
Preschool groups are added to the JCC day camp.
The S. J. Strauss Lodge is formed to help the jobless, promote Americanism, and fight anti-Semitism. The lodge later builds the B’nai B’rith apartments for low-income residents.
The Y acquires the Shoemaker property on South River Street as the site of the new YMHA and changes its name to the Jewish Community Center of the Wyoming Valley in 1947. Home Camp moves to Twin Lakes site in Dallas, PA.
K’Ton Ton camp is created for kindergarten children at JCC.
Four Orthodox congregations merge to form United Orthodox Synagogue. JCC opens on South River Street after five years of construction.
Temple B’nai B’rith opens Temple B’nai B’rith housing for the elderly, which provides federally subsidized apartments for low-income senior citizens.
The JCC rehabilitation fund increases access to the JCC and provides Jewish Family Service with a separate building. JCC undergoes a $2.3 million rehabilitation, adding a parking lot, new entry, and improvements to the fitness center.
The Rifkin Resource Center is dedicated to provide Judaic educational materials to the community.
The Jewish Community Alliance is created through a merger of various Jewish agencies, including Jewish Family Service, Jewish Federation, and the Jewish Community Center.